Wednesday 30 January 2008

Hello Poor Neglected Blog!! (long post!)

A belated Happy Christmas, New Year & Birthday (to me). The time has flown, I can't believe it's almost 2 months since my last post, it wasn't intentional either. I don't know why it's been so long, I guess Ravelry has something to do with it - upload a finished object & it's done, then spend the next 3 hours browsing the site!!!!

I've still been knitting like crazy, anyone want some 'knitty mojo'? I've made Twist from Chicknits in Schoeller & Stahl Zimba Fix. This is my current favourite thing to wear, it's a great pattern to knit, waist-shaping, cables, hood... it's got the lot!



I grafted the hood (after making the sideways socks below, this graft was a walk in the park!)



I'm hoping to make one in Patons Washed Haze aran for a lighter weight version. I seemed to 'acquire' some in the January sales, I've no idea how it happened.


I've always fancied having a go at sideways socks but have read mixed reviews about the Sidewinders. These seemed a better bet. I used Regia Kaffe Fasset Design Line 4 ply in Landscape Caribbean.


140sts on 2.75mm isn't my idea of fun, but I had to have a pair, so I gritted my teeth, ignored the second-sock-syndrome that was gnawing away at me & got on with them. Thankfully, they're dead easy to knit.


This is the final result, they're one of my favourite pairs as they stay up ALL DAY! If you really hate grafting, these aren't for you as that's how they're joined, all 140sts x 2 socks!


Bitten by the sock bug & bugged by the size of the sock stash, another pair was next on the pins. These are the hugley popular Monkey Socks by Cookie A. I used Regia Stretch crazy colour. I don't know if it's the pattern or me, but I was hoping these would stay up in a stretchy sock yarn, but nope, they fall down too, just like my bambooo ones. Because of this, I won't be making another pair.


I'm going away in May & I'm determined to have some stuff ready, nice & early to take with me. This is the first of my Summer knits:

It's Sirdar 8388. I've used Patons Cotton DK in Foxglove. I added some waist-shaping, (nicked from another pattern as I don't know how to work it out) & added 1" to the length. I don't really like knitting with cotton, but I'm really happy with the finished result. It's really hard to knit for the Summer in January & then have to model it outside, I think a snuggly jacket is next up!

Well, that's what I've made since the last post, I promise to be back soon & not leave it so long.

(ps. Patons sent me some vouchers for the mistake in their Zhivago pattern, but refused to accept that it's wrong!)

9 comments:

Linda said...

Good lord, you are the knitting machine!! Love the cabled hooded sweater, and the socks look great. I have trouble keeping track when grafting so I am not sure I could graft that many stitches! Have a great birthday!

Joy said...

I've popped in and checked so many times - and now you're back!

What wonderful knits - I love the Sirdar top, and might just have to make a Twist myself, I MIGHT just be able to find the right yarn in my stash.

Lovely soks too :-)

belaybunny said...

what lovely knits, you have been busy - yes, please I'd like some mojo!!!

I really want to make a twist now, cos your's looks so nice.

Hawkesley said...

I love the socks you've knitted and especially like your sideways socks. They look gorgeous in that yarn!

Melody said...

Yoohoo! I'm glad that you're back, on form and knitting like mad... I have awarded you the 'You Make my Day' award as your taste in knitting is so close to my own. You give me such inspiration to crack on and get some stuff knitted!
Love Debs xx

dreamcatcher said...

Twist is gorgeous, I love cabled hoodies!

Seahorse said...

Love the hoodie! The socks look great too.

How funny about the Zhivago error!

Littlelou said...

You have been busy!
I need to get on and tackle a big item instead of all the silly little things i keep doing. Thanks for inspiration. The cardi looks fab!

Janey said...

LOVE those sidewinders! And Twist looks fab too! You must knit sooo fast...always giving us lots of FO's!

My CPH has stalled...once I cast on for the sleeves I'll be off again, perhaps this weekend?

Great to have you back! xx