Sunday 2 September 2007

Gotta Love the Car Booty

I love mooching round car boot sales, but this Summer has been such a wash-out, I've not been to any until last weekend. I'll share my Booty Looty with you...

How many of you remember/had one of these, a Tomy Hobby Girl Knitting Machine?



I never had one, but I've got one now :) all complete & only £1.50. DD is dying to have a go already & she's only 3, patience my dear, you will knit with Mommy!


10 Balls of Jaeger Angora Spun (70% angora/30% lambswool) in the original bag. This was only £2.00. I'm thinking snuggly bedsocks with some of this, it's a bit bright for anything else!

If I ever see knitting needles on the table, I always ask if they've got any patterns as they're usually shoved in a carrier under the table out of sight. This question to a very old chap turned up trumps, he asked his wife who was in their car & sure enough a large carrier of patterns was duly shoved under the table. You can have the lot for £2.00 he said. I nearly tore his hand off! This bag had her whole life's worth of knittlery stuff inside, from the 1940's to to the 1980's.

There were about 150 patterns & a few other bits. I was so excited going through the bag (how sad is that!). Here are some of my favourites...

"Beautifully styled gauchos & knickerbockers". (I've never heard of gauchos!)


"Sambo, Topsy & Gillian" I guess from the 1940's!


I collect dolls knitting patterns & I don't have this one, this made the find well-worthy of my £2.00 outlay :)


How about this ingenious piece of knitting, the cabled band drops down to keep your face warm!!!!


When I saw this 'bed-jacket' in a Beehive book from 1980 it reminded me of a Rowan pattern, I've seen somewhere, hmmm, now which one is it?


Found it - it's Meadow from RY Classic Nature


Is there any such thing as a 'new' knitting pattern?

Let's hope this outfit never makes a comeback


What you do with a 'Betty Ann Knitter' is beyond me, how can you produce anything remotely like knitting with this:

It includes instructions for converting a crochet pattern to a Knitter pattern, so there's hope for me & crochet yet (well maybe!)

On the knitty front, I'll have some FO's for you this week (anyone who's ever knitted with Sirdar Snowflake chunky will undestand the delay!!!!!)

8 comments:

Linda said...

Why do I never find such good stuff at the car boot?! The patterns are great, you must have enjoyed looking through them.

dreamcatcher said...

I feel deprived that I never had one of those knitting machines :-D Great loot, those patterns are amazing - the cabled band that drops down is hilarious!

blog-blethers said...

What finds! The patterns are just brilliant - like a fashion history lesson in a poly bag! We have worn some outfits in the past - if I wore the cream cabled ensemble I'd be arrested as an offensive weapon:)

Seahorse said...

Oh, foaming at the mouth with jealously here, lol!!! What totally fab finds! I especially like the hat! How useful if one felt a bank robbing moment coming on!

The Beehive/Rowan similarity is rather interesting... hmm!!!

Put a Sock in it said...

What a fabulous haul! I love the gauchos and knickerbockers!

I keep seeing signs for local yard sales, but I can never quite bring myself to go to them.

Joy said...

I have NEVER been to a car boot sale, I am beginning to see the attraction;)! What fantastic patterns.

Melody said...

Luvverly stuff Jo!

I've just awarded you the Rockin' Girl Blogger award cos you complete so many wonderful knits.

love debs xx

DD said...

the top pattern, fiona (i think) well the jumper style is back in fashion but not so sure about the culottes etc lol