Sunday 16 September 2007

Sirdar Snowflake

Do you ever have the urge to knit with yarn that is vile to knit, but looks lovely when finished? I have a stash of Sirdar Snowflake Chunky & thought it's time to get ready for Winter. I know, we're experiencing a late Summer, but still, here we go:

My Monsters in their snuggly balaclavas, check out my ds trying to look mean LOL!


This is a better view, I can't believe I sat & made all those scales & even got them sewn on, I mightily proud of myself, my patience must be improving with age!


Not to be left out, (and because this stuff is 59p a ball at Kemps) I've made this hoodie for myself. It's made on 10mm with 2 strands together. I deliberately shifted the colours a little to make the stripes a bit more muted & because it's easier to knit 2 strands in different shades, than 2 in the same shade. If you've ever knit with this stuff, you'll know where I'm coming from with this thinking!!
Here's the 'Dorky' hood-up view!

Talking of yarn that's vile to knit, what were Jaeger thinking when they produced Trinity? I spent ages deciding which top to make, picked out a little Summer vest & cast on. OMG this stuff is horrible. Queen of the Froggers is dead right when she describes little bits of twig in it. I could've lined my bird-box with the contents of my lap after a few rows. I knitted half of the back but then it had to go, off to the frog-pond. Now I've got 20 balls to sell. I'll need to be some saleswoman to describe this stuff nicely!

I was really looking forward to the 'Knitting & Stitching Show at the NEC yesterday. I went through my patterns that are high on the knit-list & wrote down everything I wanted to look at, have a squeeze of & then buy cheaper from ebay.com. To say I was disappointed with the knitterly content is an understatement. Get Knitted, Colinette, Sublime/Sirdar where were you?? I thought is was poor last year, but assumed it would be better each year as knitting continues to grow. It needs to be renamed 'The Stitching with a Hint of Knitting Show'. What a waste of £12.00, next year I'm deffo going to Ally Pally.

On the plus side, I did manage to nab a bargain. I got 9 balls of Lang Mohair Luxe which is 70% superkid mohair/30% silk with 175m/25g to make the Modern Quilt Wrap. The colour choices were limited, but I got these 9 which I love & will be ready to cast on tomorrow :)

I have to say a huge thank you to Debs aka Melody for nominating me for a 'Rockin Girl Blogger Award' (not quite sure what it is, so I'll be back when I do *blushes*)

11 comments:

Janey said...

I love your hoodie! It's so ME! And the balaclava's are great too but I know what you mean about the snowflake! I'm trying to knit a toy elephant in it but I've given up, I hate it!
Sorry the show was disappointing, you're not the first to say so. Ally Pally is supposed to be great tho!

Linda said...

Your balaclavad kids look fab! The hoodie is cosy!
What a shame about the Trinity. Although it is an odd yarn I quite like knitting with it and the effect it gives. What shades have you got?

Piglottie said...

Oh your two look gorgeous!!! I love the balaclavas (*whispers* and would quite actually like one but would never dare wear it). I agree with you about the Snowflake. I had some to knit a cardigan with but just couldn't get on with it although it does feel lovely knitted up. I think your hoodie looks great too :)

Joy said...

Oh just look at at your children in their snuggly balaclavas! Adorable :-)

Although it would take me under an hour to get to the NEC, I haven't been to this show. Harrogate was better for yarn content, but Colinette don't do Harrogate either.

For sheer value for entrance money, you'd be hard pressed to beat Woolfest.

Seahorse said...

LOVE the balaclavas! Nice hoodie too.

What a PITA about Trinity... I have 'some' of that myself, might have to have a go with it and see if I need to move it along hurriedly as well!

dreamcatcher said...

I am in awe at your perseverence with Snowflake! The funky balaclavas are really great :-) And a fab hoodie too! I've never tried the Trinity but it doesn't sound like fun either!

Tracey said...

Your blog is great reading. I am in awe of people who actually knit garments. I do socks and lace wraps. I have done a jumper for my 4 year old but have yet to attempt anything adult sized.
Your kids look so cute.
knitty, witty, woo

Melody said...

What wonderful, wonderful finished knitterly items again Jo. I really do love the things that you knit cos they're so ME too!

I have *cough* a fair amount of Snowflake kicking around because I love the softness of it, but I've never actually knitted anything with it yet.Maybe I should have a go....

debs xx

Alaina said...

Thanks for stopping by to say hi on my blog...so, I thought I would come over here (down here?) and snoop around yours....I love it!!

Your FO's are awesome :)

I am in awe!!! WOW.

(and great name) LOL

Happy knitting.

Joanna said...

Love the balaclavas, and that hoodie, I'll be looking out for some discount snowflake methinks, I'm back off to Ally Pally again this year, have been on a yarn diet since Jan, and this is where it ends!

Auntie Noo said...

Those balaclavas are just fab!!!!