Saturday 20 October 2007

Diary of a Rogue Hoodie

I've been dying to own one of these since I first saw the pattern. Definitely out of my league knitwise, but I still want one & I'm not going to let a load of wool beat me!! I got the yarn ages ago from Wolle Hartmuth, it's Austermann Revue a pure merino aran weight & machine washable too. It's a turquoisey/teal kind of shade.


I'm officially the world's worst cable chart reader, basically I've only ever done it for CPH, so this is challenging me to say the least! I thought I'd do the sleeves fist to get me used to the cable & charts. Now I know why they call these things a 'dummy run', because I am a DUMMY! I misread the pattern & forgot the increases either side of the cable so it got frogged. I had more success next time, not the neatest cables, I hope they'll be fine:

I've added an inch to the sleeve length, but only on one in case the pattern length of 17" is long enough, I'm sure I'll need the 18", but I'll wait until I can pin them to the body to check before doing any more on the 2nd one.

I've never used circs in my life for anything other than a button-band (see, I told you Rogue was out of my knitterly league didn't I?). I've done a twisted stocking stitch hem , but I've twisted each row the opposite way to avoid the bias effect as the designer suggests here, what she fails to tell you is how the hell you do this. Why write out 2 simple lines of instructions when you can fill a page & still not tell me? I spent 4 hours fiddling & trying to get each row to lie the opposite way to avoid the bias. The only way I found was to knit 1 rnd as normal, then knit 1 rnd tbl BUT wrap the yarn the other way, ie over the top - clockwise. Please tell me if there is an easier & quicker way. It now looks like this:

I whipped it off the circs onto waste yarn to try & measure it (I'm not paranoid -honest) & it measures 38" which suits me better than the 39" for the pattern anyway. I'm not sure if it's really indicative of the final size but I could always block it bigger if needed.

This is as far as I've got for now, but staying up til 1.00am last night didn't help, it just made me a crabby cow today.

I'm seriously wondering if I'll have enough yarn too, 1200m doesn't seem alot for all those cables, a pocket & a hood. I've actually got 1400m. I desperately want the pocket but don't want to run short.

If I ever post up a progress picture with dodgy cables going the wrong way, please tell me about it while there's time to fix them.

7 comments:

dreamcatcher said...

That's a lovely project, really nice shade you picked for it too. Good luck with all the cabling and other intricacies, all your knits look great and you can most definitely do this one!

Auntie Noo said...

Oooh OOohhh Ooooh That yarn is delicious *rushes off to Hartmuth's*

I think you're hem looks way better than mine did (which still lies unloved at the bottom of my WIP basket!) - think I ended up doing the bias thing - ah well such is.....!!!

Seahorse said...

You always do such great and speedy work, I'm amazed you think Rogue is 'out of your league'! Your pics clearly prove it isn't, even if it's been a bit of a faff so far!

Lurve the teal colour!

Linda said...

Well you like like you are doing great with it there! That yarn looks good.

Janey said...

Jo, that looks fabulous so far! And I agree with all the others, Rogue is most definately NOT out of your league! You CAN do it.

I'm sensing a theme in your colour choice.... I take it Teal is your favourite colour looking at your last few knits! Good choice. xx

Melody said...

Oooooh indeed!

I *love* your zippy ribby cardi to bits! And your Rogue looks luvverly too. I've not attempted Rogue - all that knitting in the round puts me off somewhat :?

debs xx

Joy said...

I'm always in awe of all these beautiful Rogues - and yours is no exception - what a lovely colour. I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end :-)