Sunday 25 March 2007

Stocktaking!

I started this task back in January & today I've finished logging my yarns on Craftmemo this afternoon & I'm rather disturbed by the quantity I have. Bearing in mind I've only starting knitting again in the last 2 years. There wasn't a single ball of anything 'knittable' in my house 2.5yrs ago.

Get ready for this... I have the yarn for 100 (yes one hundred) projects, not balls, projects. This is excluding sock wool, part balls, odd balls, left-overs, fluffy & novelty yarns, of which there are also very MANY! Now, there may be 5 balls for a scarf, 250g for a dd sized project or a whopping 1 kilo bag of something or other for a me-sized project. I daren't add up the amount of balls, it's way too scary.

What is equally (or more) disturbing is the fact that the total spend is £1047. Now ,most of my purchases are at sale/bargain price, I could easily treble the price if it was shops' rrp. Why on earth have I amassed such a ridiculous amount of yarn? No, I don't know either. It really is more than I could realistically knit in the next 10 years. So why, oh why, do I spend ages pondering on what to knit next, when I could pick any one of the 100 things? I also spend ages online drooling over the new yarns & patterns out there. If I were to knit it all up, why would I need another 40 sweaters, 5 scarves, 35 jackets & 20 tops?? I only knit for me & my dd! Where on earth would I keep them all. Is it possible for a woman to have too many clothes? A large part of my stash is in the loft, maybe it could become a walk-in wardrobe, as it looks like I'm gonna need one. I think as it's spread out around the house/loft in about 5 different places, it doesn't seem a lot. if I'd been asked, I'd have guessed at yarn for about 30 projects.

I have actually knitted some of up, since I started logging it, but the old yarns have been replaced with new acqisitions, so the count remains the same.

This has been a real wake-up call for me & I think it's time to do some serious de-stashing & re-coup some of that dosh. I might even post up some pics, to spur me into action.

4 comments:

Terri said...

That sounds exactly like me, and thats why I decided I had to stashalong!!!! I have enough for about 80-90 me size garments, and enough sock yarn for about 80 pairs of socks, not including whats left over after a pair *hangs head in shame*
Its an illness;-)

Joy said...

Well I feel a bit better now!!!!! Jo - I haven't counted mine, but it's around 30 projects I would say and as usual I am taking one step forwards and 2 steps backwards. I started knitting again around eighteen months ago, and until a year ago literally just had the yarn I was knitting with!

Seahorse said...

I choose to keep my head firmly in the sand and not do an inventory but I suspect I'm not far off your tally as well. I only restarted knitting a couple of years ago too!

I heartily approve of the fact that it's mostly been at bargain prices - see it as an investment! I bet if you put stuff on ebay you'd get at least what you paid and quite possibly a bit more!

Look my way if/when you decide to destash, lol!!!

Jo028 said...

I'm glad it's not only me. It's the quantity of clothes I'd have if it was all knitted up that bothers me the most. Maybe I'll keep it as 'useless' balls!!