Friday 30 March 2007

2 Finished Objects in March

These were finished before Ivy hit the pins (she is 'otn' on her own, I promise!). First up is a shawl-collared gilet in Sirdar Spree in Faded Denim from Kemps (bought for £1.50, before they reduced it to just 69p a ball!). Pattern is Sirdar 8817, designed for Peru, but I think it works for the Spring weather. I'll probably make this again & would start the ribbing an inch lower to get it to sit better on my waist as I've got a long body! I found the lovely buttons in my LYS. The owner has a strange sales technique & looked at me in amazement when I said I wanted 5..."you want 5, they're 40p each?" Maybe I should have just taken one & had four laid-by for future weeks!!!!

Total project cost - £9.50


Next up is the 'Mommy, don't knit me that' aran bolero for my 3 yr old dd. A nice quick knit on 5mm & used just 2 x 100g balls of wool mix aran from the bargain bin in the LYS! And yes, she has worn it 3 times, without complaint & she looks so sweet in it. I put it with a denim dress, I'll get a photo next time she wears it!

Total project cost - £2.15

My one big gripe about both of these patterns is, why on earth don't they tell you to pick-up the wraps to hide them after working the short rows? I did it, because I know about it, but it would take hardly any extra space in the pattern & produces a much better finish.


And finally, because I think it's worthy of blog-space, is a super little sock bag made by Franny off the Crafty Forum. It's not in use yet, but it will get used alot! My request was anything purple/pink, she got it just right!!

4 comments:

Seahorse said...

Lovely bargainous knitting, even if you did let yourself down with the wild button extravagance, lol!

belaybunny said...

What lovely finished objects there, I love the waistcoat. Nice sock bag too :)

Joy said...

I've had this experience with bottons too - there's this sharp intake of breath and an apology!

Kimmy said...

I love Martha - great frock !!