Sunday 10 June 2007

Hospital visit all over

My dd has been such a brave little girl. We're very proud of her. We knew it was going to be difficult when she screamed at the nurse who tried to put a name-band on her! Every step was such a battle, I asked the nurses to tell her they were going to do something, rather than ask her, as her obvious answer was always going to be "NO I'M NOT HAVING IT". She was in theatre/recovery for 2.5hrs when they'd told us 1.5hrs, that's when horrible thoughts play on your mind, during that last hour or so. She took ages to recover form the op & was really woozy all Wednesday evening & Thursday morning. She came out on Friday morning, a day earlier than expected :) She's doing great & hasn't yet asked for the plaster to be taken off!!! Her she is. enjoying her Wotsits!



Birmingham Childrens Hospital is a great hospital, I wouldn't wish for her to be in anyone elses care, her consultant is the top man for child orthopeadics.


I had a few stark reminders of how precious my childrens' lives are whilst we were there... I overheard an anaesthetist telling a mother the reason for delaying her sons minor op was because a child was having life-saving surgery. Another mother, concerned about the safety of anaesthetising such a small child (age 2) was told they had just sent a 750g baby down for surgery - I weigh wool in grammes, not babies. And finally, the most saddening sight of all, for me, was the plain black transit van sitting outside the main entrance waiting for it's 'passenger', discreetly marked with the funeral directors' logo. Why can't they use the back entrance for those 'collections' I wonder ???

7 comments:

Linda said...

What a gorgeous, brave girl dd is, and the purple cast is cool! Best wishes to her and all of you !

Seahorse said...

I'm so glad your DD came through it all in relatively fine shape.

That's so desperately sad about the black van. I'm sure I'm as guilty as anyone of moaning and worrying about my kids but compared to that, we're all terribly lucky, aren't we ? :(

Joy said...

Oh bless her, she HAS been brave hasn't she.

Joy said...

Oh bless her, she has been brave, hasn't she!

Don't you just count your blessings sometimes.

Melody said...

Just popped in to say hi...Wow! Fabby casts! Are you going to knit legwarmers to go over them??LOL!!

And how is your ribbed cardigan going, oh speedy knitter?

belaybunny said...

I hope she gets well asap.

gilraen said...

She looks very well considering her ordeal! I love the purple fibre cast :)

You sound like you were great in there. Well done it would have been very hard :D