Saturday 19 May 2007

This Weeks Knitterly Update! New Pics Added

The vintage top is finished. I used exactly 3 balls of Sirdar breeze. I was undecided on the buttons, so it was unfinished for over a week. I think they're OK, they've grown on me!


Here's a modelled shot of me, feeling brave, for the first time!



Next up is a bolero from Simply Knitting mag. One of the early editions (number 3 I think!) I've subscribed from the first issue, but thay have such a bad reputation for pattern errors, I've given them a miss. But I have to say, the pattern was well-writen & completely error-free.


I had quite a large stash of Sirdar Pure cotton & picked lilac for this one. I don't really like the feel of it, it's a bit hard to knit. I discovered, about 6" from finishing the 2nd sleeve, that Brittany Birch pins were the best ones to get an even tension with!

I thought I'd try short-row shaping for the first time on the shoulders. I used this really useful article in Knitty.com. I did a 3 needle bind off on the shoulders too. At the end, the author announces 'Wow, doesn't that look fabulous?' errr no, it's not a phrase I'd use to describe this:


It's bugging the hell out of me that I can see the twisted stitches. Look at them, staring at me from the back row! I'm unsure why, on the bind-off, she says to knit through the back loop on the nearest stitch & the front on the back stitch. I assume it's to make knitting them together easier. Messy, messsy, messy!

The pattern has a picot cast-off all around the edges. I actually think it looks quite effective, but if I never see another picot-cast-off again, it will be way too soon:

I used 4.5 x 100g balls & the rest has gone on ebay. I've got too much!

It's still blocking, so I'll post up the finished pic another day.

4 comments:

Seahorse said...

The vintage top is so chic!

dreamcatcher said...

The vintage top is lovely, so neat! I've done a 3 needle bindoff on shoulders before and it looked great, but I've not done the short row shaping with it. Looking forward to seeing the bolero when blocked.

T said...

You look beautiful, the vintage top looks so up to date!
Well done on finding a SK pattern without errors ;) The picot's so pretty but it sounds like it's been a painful knit.

Joy said...

Oh isn't that vintage top just the business - a real classic.