Thursday 3 May 2007

Vintage Knitting - What Goes Around Comes Around!

I found a vintage 1975 Woolworths kniting book in my local charity shop for 10p, a while back. It was destined for ebay, but when I looked through it, I was amazed to find I actually like some of the designs. I'm currently working on this one, originally made in 'Chadwicks Courtelle Crepe', requires 18 x 20g balls, so goodness knows how much I'll need!


I'm using Sirdar Breeze in Shade Nutmeg. I had a horrible feeling I was going to get the pocket flap in a unflattering postion with the button right where it shouldn't have been LOL! But I think it's going to be OK! Being the 'anal' fool that I am, I'm crossing the cables differently, one side to the left, the other to the right. I'm doing the bands separately after the welt, as I didn't like the way it was pulling-up due it being in garter st. I added a few short rows to try & even it up a little. It will also double-up as a corset I'm sure, looking at this pic, eeep - breathe in:


Here are few others, I like this jacket & I'm thinking of some of the Sublime stash in Linen for this one. The womans' version is also cabled but has some side shaping:


I quite fancy this deep-v sweater in 2 shades of blue (yep, Sublime!). Sirdar have a current pattern for a tank with quite a deep 'V' & this reminded me of it: (check out Mr Cheese, I had to leave him in).


And finally, just for fun, look at the state of Mr Cheese in his crocheted tank, probably having a .... (sorry, I'll get my coat!):


5 comments:

Seahorse said...

Too funny! I reckon you're right about Mr Cheese, I mean just look at that moustache ;)

The ladies patterns are great though. I have quite a few old books and mags and am often suprised by how great some of the designs are.

dreamcatcher said...

Those patterns are really nice! I am not sure about Mr Cheese though LOL. Your version of the cabled top is looking great :-)

Linda said...

LoL!!! Mr Cheese is so funny! You have got a good eye for vintage stuff, I tend to pick things that are really naff!!!

Joy said...

Some of those patterns are really lovely aren't they. Mr Cheese is aptly named! I wonder where he is now........

Anonymous said...

I think you're right about Mr Cheese ;-) But I LOVE those patterns!!